A combination of Agness and Adness defines AdFarm’s mission to connect agriculture companies with their customers through marketing, direct or online advertising, public relations and consulting.
I noticed AdFarm’s dedication to detail from the moment I stepped into the Calgary office. From the architecture and design of the office, to enthusiasm over an upcoming ad, to how much the employees invested in their work, it was easy to see the exceptional quality to which AdFarm commits.
I’m a journalism student at SAIT and I chose to work at AdFarm for my two-week practicum, as I wanted to gain experience in the advertising and marketing industry.
AdFarm is a company that ignites the launch of new businesses or products. It is like Steve Jobs says: “Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower.”
Here are a few things I have learned during my time at AdFarm:
- AdFarm has an advantage over other advertising agencies by specializing in agriculture. The company and its employees have specific knowledge about farming and maintain strong, long-lasting relationships with clients.
- Advertising is all about what the message portrays through imagery, words and video, to generate a greater impact on the audience.
- All types of personality traits are needed to work in an advertising agency. Creativity, organization, patience and optimism are characteristics needed to sell a business or product.
- Active writing is required when producing advertisements or news releases to keep the reader interested.
- Advertising is about speaking with the company’s voice (tone and style) without inputting personal opinions.
- Agriculture is an industry that mirrors a rollercoaster ride, as highs and lows depend on weather, weeds, grass production, diseases and insects.
- A majority of farmers are baby boomers. As a result, many are in the midst of handing down or selling their land.
- According to American Farm Bureau, three quarters of farmers and ranchers have a Facebook account and 10 per cent are using Twitter. AdFarm’s Facebook page is liked by 360 people and @adfarmtweets has 1,340 followers.
- Agriculture is an important industry. In 2009, Canada exported over $3.8 billion horticultural products globally.
What have you noticed about agriculture and advertising?
Haleigh Packer is a practicum student in AdFarm’s Calgary office. You can follow her on Twitter @HHKPacker.