Corn it is. The AdFarm North Dakota farm will grow Pioneer 39D97 corn on its acres this year. Cooperating Farmer Fred Lukens told us, “This is a 78-day Roundup Ready/Corn Borer double stacked hybrid. I’d had it in my plot for two years and it’s performed well with above average yield and above average dry down.
“Seventy-eight day corn is early maturing corn for our part of the world, where 82-85 day corn is more prevalent. It also has good yield potential: 39D97 did yield 190 bu/acre in a plot at Amenia, N.D., last year.” (The national average corn yield is around 156 bu/acre. Last year’s North Dakota average was around 115 bu/acre.)
Since 39D97 is a Bt corn, it will only go on 80% of the AdFarm acres. The other 20% will be seeded with Pioneer 39V05 corn, a Roundup Ready only variety that will go on as corn borer refuge acres.
Planting refuge acres alongside Bt corn crops is required by law. A refuge is anything that is not Bt corn. So for every 80 acres you plant of the Bt you have to plant 20 acres of the refuge. The thought behind refuge is that some insects are never exposed to Bt, so they have no resistance to it. The only way insects develop resistance is by exposure. Refuge acres generate insects that are never exposed to Bt so that they will mate with insects that are exposed to Bt. The result? Dilute the chances of the offspring being resistant and protecting the corn crop.
Last year’s AdFarm North Dakota crop, pinto beans, was harvested in November. Fred will apply fertilizer with his WilRich drill in the spring, ahead of seeding our corn.
What are your thoughts on our crop plan for 2010 ?
Keywords: AdFarm, AdFarm North Dakota farm crop, AdFarm ND crop, AdFarm ND farm, North Dakota corn, ND corn, Pioneer 39D97 corn, Roundup Ready corn, Pioneer 39V05 corn, corn borer refuge