We’re doing our part to make Canola Council’s Growing Great 2015 strategy a reality.
As more people discover the health benefits of canola oil for human consumption, animal feed and as biofuel source, the greater the demand on Canada’s canola industry to increased production. So we’re going to do our part and grow canola – varieties are yet to be determined – on our Alberta farm as part of the Canola Council of Canada’s Growing Great 2015 strategy. The Canola Council represents the entire Canadian canola industry – growers, crop development and protection companies, processors, and exporters.
According to the CCC, Growing Great 2015 is “an ambitious plan to take the Canadian canola industry to 15 million tonnes of sustained market demand and production. The industry will focus on those markets for which canola’s primary attributes – high oil yield and low saturated fat – will create superior value and benefit human and environmental health.”
So just how ambitious is the plan? By way of contrast, canola production in Canada in 2006 was 9 million tonnes and the anticipated 2009 yield is set to be in the neighborhood of 10.3 million tonnes. Ambitious, but definitely achievable.
Good for people:
Canola oil is the healthiest commodity oil available to consumers, the food service industry and food processors.
Canola oil contains the least amount of saturated fat (7%) of any common edible oil, with the remaining 93% healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.
The polyunsaturated fats in canola oil are essential omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. The omega-3, alpha-linolenic acid, may help prevent heart attacks and strokes. The omega-6 linoleic acid is important for the brain and essential for the growth and development of infants.
Good for livestock
Canola meal is used as an animal feed for dairy cows, pigs and poultry.
Its unique characteristics are especially valuable in the dairy industry, where it has been shown that including 20% canola meal in a feed ration improves milk production by one litre per cow per day.
Good for the economy
Canola adds $14 billion annually to Canada’s economy.
Canada produces 15% of the world’s supply of canola/rapeseed, but it is responsible for 75% of its global trade.
Canola is the No. 1 cash crop for 50,000 Canadian farmers. And the canola industry employs more than 216,000 people across Canada in production, transportation, crushing, refining and food development, manufacturing, and service.
(Source: Canola Council of Canada)
Find out more about Canada’s canola industry, check out the Canola Council of Canada.
If you were planting canola on your farm, would you choose a hybrid like InVigor or an open pollinated variety?
Ron Wall crafts the perfect balance of strategic, creative and agronomic communications for AdFarm clients. He can be reached directly at Ron.Wall@adfarmonline.com